This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

What about Mesh/Model support?

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Is there any future plans to add Model/Mesh support like Xna?

Maybe processing FBX models and use them?

Thanks,

Amer

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I'd like to cast my vote here as well and share that I think a model class would be highly beneficial.  Microsoft's current marketing around Windows 8 states that exposing DirectX APIs gives developers opportunities to develop on a new platform.  However, for developers who aren't established it's a pretty tall order to ask us to build an FBX model loader from scratch with HLSL skinned animation.   I would certainly reuse a third-party component to fill this gap but there are none available, either commercially or open source.

As an aside, I developed a pretty cool MMO using Azure + XAML for WinRT with 2D assets.  Although all of my 3d assets are saved as UV mapped FBX, I won't be bringing them into the game until MS presents a story around a default art pipeline.  My thinking here is that I don't want to reinvent the wheel when/if MS  decides to build out an object model hierarchy and import tools for DirectX.  I think it's fine if existing game engine licensees leverage their proprietary format but for indie developers wanting to do 3D, we need a vanilla solution for loading and displaying the most popular formats.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Be sure to up-vote issue 646, and look at issues 647 and 648.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM

The January 2013 release of DirectXTK now includes Model support loading rigid meshes from .CMO or .SDKMESH files.

Marked as answer by walbourn on 1/23/2014 at 11:26 PM
Feb 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM
What exactly is a .CMO file?

Also the Content Exporter tool you linked walbourn in another post is there one compiled for WinRT DirectX 11.1? it wont compile on windows 8 as its for DirectX 9.

FBX loader would be the cats pajama's if you ask me.
Feb 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM
VS 2012 has a simple Content Pipeline for C++ projects that will convert .FBX files to .CMO files.

The DirectX SDK Samples Content Exporter will build with VS 2012 using the legacy DirectX SDK and the Autodesk FBX SDK 2011.3.1. It will take an FXB file and will export .SDKMESH files. It's an author/content tool, not a runtime tool, so it's a Win32 desktop app. Yes it uses D3DX9 and legacy content right now, but the data it generates is still valid for loading.
Feb 22, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Thanks for the response after reading one of Shawn’s blog posts I had the foot in mouth moment when it stated that Visual Studio 2012 converts FBX to CMO for you which your tool kit (which kicks butt thanks!) supports that ..
Sent: ‎February‎ ‎21‎, ‎2013 ‎4‎:‎47‎ ‎PM
To: kooksta27@live.com
Subject: Re: What about Mesh/Model support? [directxtk:373614]

VS 2012 has a simple Content Pipeline for C++ projects that will convert .FBX files to .CMO files.

The DirectX SDK Samples Content Exporter will build with VS 2012 using the legacy DirectX SDK and the Autodesk FBX SDK 2011.3.1. It will take an FXB file and will export .SDKMESH files. It's an author/content tool, not a runtime tool, so it's a Win32 desktop app. Yes it uses D3DX9 and legacy content right now, but the data it generates is still valid for loading.
Sep 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Hi
I have downloaded the marble maze sample for windows 8 mobile .
Compiled and ran it successfully.

I downloaded the content exporter from the below location and compiled it successfully.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2012/04/25/samples-content-exporter-update.aspx

Then i created some mesh in maya and exported it to fbx.
From FBX i then exported it to .sdkmesh file format.
Then I loaded the new mesh in the marble maze sample.
Everything renders fine except there is no collision detection.
So after debugging I found out that the meshes which are extracted as triangles for collision detection are not being extracted properly.
After inspecting the values of the triangles, only junk values are present.

If the compiled content exporter EXE that was used for the marble maze windows 8 demo can be shared, then it will be quite beneficial for all.
Or any other guidance to solve this problem will be of great help.

Regards
sandip
Sep 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM
The link above is the same exporter that was used. What version of FBX did you use?
Sep 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
hi
I just solved the problem.
The problem was with vertex buffer stride length, which was hardcoded as 44 for the marble maze sample.
But the asset exported by content exporter was 56.
Changing the stride length to 56 seemed to solve the problem.
Will do more tests.

Regards
sandip