Retiring Windows Store apps for Windows 8.0 support

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Now that Windows 8.1 has released and the focus is on migrating to Windows Store apps for Windows 8.1 using the VS 2013 toolset, the question is when should we retire support for VS 2012 and Windows Store apps for Windows 8 in the DirectX Tool Kit?

Adoption rates for Windows 8.1 have been very high as a 'free' update since its release, and most folks targeting Windows Store should be looking to migrate for newer applications. As such, I was thinking we'd retire Windows Store apps for Windows 8.0 support for DirectXTK starting in April 2014.

Any feedback on this suggested timing? If not then, when?

Migrating your Windows Store app to Windows 8.1

Retarget your Windows Store app to Windows 8.1

PS: We would of course continue to support using VS 2012 to build Win32 desktop applications. At some point we'll retire VS 2010 support, but that is likely to be some ways off...
Nov 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Perhaps the timing should consider compatibility with whatever versions of the tools that ID@Xbox developers will need to use? I don't know if this might be an issue or not, thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for the effort put into DirectXTK!
Nov 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Hi, I don't know how did you draw the conclusion that adoption rates for 8.1 is high? According to http://www.netmarketshare.com/, Win8 has 7.53% and Win8.1 has 1.72%, that is only 1 out of 8 people upgrade to 8.1 or buy a PC with 8.1 preinstalled. I'd be happy if you continue support for Win8.0 with VS2012 until the end of 2014.
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Edited Nov 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Because of the default behavior of GetVersion/GetVersionEx in 8.1, most of the telemetry is wrong and can't distinguish 8.0 from 8.1. It will probably take a while before they update their users appropriately, and for the data collection cycle to catch up. Steam was fixed a month or so ago.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/09/10/manifest-madness.aspx
Nov 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM
EricCosky wrote:
Perhaps the timing should consider compatibility with whatever versions of the tools that ID@Xbox developers will need to use? I don't know if this might be an issue or not, thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks for the effort put into DirectXTK!
This is exactly what I was going to say.
Nov 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Edited Nov 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
walbourn wrote:
Because of the default behavior of GetVersion/GetVersionEx in 8.1, most of the telemetry is wrong and can't distinguish 8.0 from 8.1. It will probably take a while before they update their users appropriately, and for the data collection cycle to catch up. Steam was fixed a month or so ago.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/09/10/manifest-madness.aspx
I am not very familiar with issue. But I think Microsoft has brought a lot of troubles to the developers in the upgrade from 8.0+VS2012 to 8.1+VS2013. Even if I keep VS2012 and only upgrade the OS to 8.1, I have to do a considerable amount of work to make my app compile. For example, DirectX debug layer is not available, Windows App Certification Kit 2.2 no longer works after the upgrade.
As Windows 8 apps will continue to work in 8.1 (in compatibility mode) whereas Windows 8.1 apps do not work in 8.0. Folks in our lab decided to keep the development environment (Win8+VS2012 or Win8.1+VS2012) for some time. So I hope you may continue the support.
Coordinator
Nov 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM
The general assumption is that as a free upgrade, most consumers with 8 will move to 8.1 in short order, so developers of Windows Store apps should move to VS 2013 and retarget 8.1 ASAP. This is not a traditional Windows OS upgrade cycle which is usually handled very conservatively. We are seeing how this plays out in the next few months.

For Win32 desktop apps, we are still supporting VS 2012 for some time...
Dec 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I am upgraded to VS2013 and Windows 8.1. For this reason, I am OK with a forced upgrade. The 8.1 Windows RT API carried forward many important features that pushed us into 8.1 quickly.
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM
As we approach a year since my first post on this, are there any folks who actively need the DirectXTK projects for Windows Store for Windows 8.0, or can we just ship DirectXTK projects for Windows Store for 8.1 and have everyone covered?
Nov 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM
Well how time flies as there has been a year since the initial discussion of this topic. For this time I think it’s OK to drop support for Windows 8.0 and you may as well keep a download link of latest DirectXTK that supports 8.0. Since not all devs drop 8.0 support from their apps. In our case, we keep both a 8.0 build and a 8.1 build for our apps.
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM
BTW, when I do drop support for this config, you can probably get even the latest DirectX Tool Kit code to build for Windows Store for Windows 8.0 apps, you'd just have to create your own vcxproj for it.