Windows 8 App Local Storage + DirectXTK

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM
I tried passing in "ms-appdata:///local/" today to the DirectXTK CMO Load methods to access app local storage (for streamed assets) and it appears as though the application runtime path is concatenated to the above path. I traced through the code and it looks like the CMO parse and loading method is in turn using a Win32 DirectX method for loading files.

Before going down the path of changing EffectFactory, I thought I would ask if this has been tried before -- and maybe I am just doing something silly....

I am thinking a) find out if some magic path works (i.e. the ms-appdata:///local) thing, or b) modify effect factory to load everything via streams (I think CMO Load already does this) but texture and effect loading does not, or c) store this downloaded content in assets instead?

It's great having the game's content downloaded after an initial install. It means the 200+MB of game data can be lazily loaded as the player ventures through known space...

Any thoughts or opinions on any of the above approaches is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shaun
Jan 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM
This question was answered by Chuck in this thread -> https://directxtk.codeplex.com/discussions/456486
auto folder = Windows::Storage::ApplicationData::Current->LocalFolder;
// use folder->Path->Data() as the path base
Marked as answer by walbourn on 1/5/2014 at 4:22 PM