problem with drawing textures on a netbook (GMA 3150, DirectX 9c, Shader 3)

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hi.  I'm testing on an Intel Atom netbook w/ a GMA 3150 integrated graphics chip (it looks like it supports DirectX 9c, Shader 3).  Unfortunately, when I draw a sprite (using either the dds loader or wic loader, and by specify a rectangle or a position), the sprite is just rendered as a solid square color (it seems like the color comes from somewhere in the top left quadrant of the sprite from my testing).  However, it works fine on my dev machine using dxcpl.exe to limit it to 9_1.

The SimpleSprites (metro app) sample works fine on the netbook, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the netbook, itself.

I'm kind of stumped as to how to debug this.  Any suggestions?  I can only assume there's something going on with the shaders on the netbook, but we're quickly getting out of my area of expertise...

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I'm going to post this as a bug report.  I've had to switch over to a different sprite implementation in the mean time, because, for whatever reason, it does not render correctly on this graphics chip, and could possibly be an issue with other low-end devices...

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM

The older Intel Integrated Graphics parts have always been a challenge in terms of driver support. What feature level is actually being used on the netbook (I assume FL 9.1)?

What is the output of that display system running the DxCapsViewer tool? (Windows 8.0 SDK included with VS 2012 RTM under Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin)

This is kind of a wierd upgrade scenario as it's unlikely this old of a netbook is going to be sold with Windows 8 on it. A such, there could be driver issues and various other 'unsupported' aspects to it so it might be a slightly dodgy test case running Windows 8. 

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-gma-3000-and-x3000-developers-guide

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I'm using FL 9.1.

I'll try to install VS 2012 RTM on my netbook when I get a chance.  (Hopefully soon.)

Also, as a side note, I am faking the resolution with a registry hack (simulating 1024x768, instead of the actual native resolution of 1024x600).  So, it could also be a side-effect of that.

To be honest, I think you're right.  My gut feeling is that this will not be an issue with new Windows 8 hardware, given that everything works great in the simulator.  It's just unfortunate, b/c it's the only touch device I have to test on right now (and I like testing on a low-end system for performance testing).  But, once I get my hands on an RT tablet, I should be able to flip back to DirectXTK pretty easily.