VS2013 FBX to CMO conversion

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Hi, all

I m having a problem converting FBX to CMO and it's driving me crazy. I tried to do this with complex models as well as something as simple as a cube with no materials but in all cases it fails with a maddeningly unhelpful message:

The "MeshContentTask" task failed unexpectedly.
System.Exception: VsGraphics failed, error code 4317 returned.
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Graphics.Api.VsgTask.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__20.MoveNext()

This was a plain FBX file exported from 3DS max. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or at the very least if there's some LOG file that could contain some more sensible information about the error.

Oh, and VS2013 does show FBX in the window and it seems OK. So it clearly can load it just fine. It's only when I do the build that this meshcontenttask fails when invoking VSGraphics. I suspect that this is some export setting in 3DSMax that's throwing it off, but I tried to toggle a variety of settings on and off but so far no luck.

Thanks !
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM
AAARGH - I figured it out and it would be funny if I didn't get so frustrated already , checking and unchecking a ton of different options in 3DS Max FBX export and retrying with it failing each and every time.

The problem was simple - I simply fatfingered export directory for CMO file and it was trying to create it in a non-existing folder. How about that - hours spent for something so stupid.

So my question now is - does anyone know of any way to figure out what these VSGraphics error codes mean. If this thing would have simply said "Failed to create the directory", or "File can not be found" I'd be done in a minute. Naturally first thing I got this error I googled VSGraphcs error codes but didn't see any information on it (at least not among the first 10 or so results).

Anyone there from MS that might know where/how we can get a list of these VSGraphics error codes ? It might be helpful in the future if something like this happens.
Marked as answer by walbourn on 3/12/2014 at 11:26 PM
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Alas, it's probably a System Error Code and I'm not sure it would've helped all that much:
ERROR_INVALID_OPERATION
4317 (0x10DD)
The operation identifier is not valid.
Mar 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Ah. Thanks for the tip. But yeah, unfortunately such generic error code probably wouldn't have helped either... :(

In any case - hopefully someone else who runs into this in the future will be able to find this post quickly and doublecheck their output directories. This was a time-waster...
Mar 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM
vman2010 wrote:
AAARGH - I figured it out and it would be funny if I didn't get so frustrated already , checking and unchecking a ton of different options in 3DS Max FBX export and retrying with it failing each and every time.

The problem was simple - I simply fatfingered export directory for CMO file and it was trying to create it in a non-existing folder. How about that - hours spent for something so stupid.

So my question now is - does anyone know of any way to figure out what these VSGraphics error codes mean. If this thing would have simply said "Failed to create the directory", or "File can not be found" I'd be done in a minute. Naturally first thing I got this error I googled VSGraphcs error codes but didn't see any information on it (at least not among the first 10 or so results).

Anyone there from MS that might know where/how we can get a list of these VSGraphics error codes ? It might be helpful in the future if something like this happens.
Hi,

do u know of any other reason why this error occurs? I did not mess with any export directories. I have been converting FBX to CMO for some time. But this time, when it is really important and I have spent really a lot of time creating a model and animation in MotionBuilder, it could not complete the conversion to CMO. I got exactly the same error as you. Can you think of any other way, how to fix this? Thank you in advance